Monday, January 18, 2010

So-Co and Lime

"The HiLo is the only bar I have had the.... uh.... pleasure of seeing a naked man drinking at the bar next to a drag queen, a black cowboy, and a 40 year old woman with a mo-hawk." -- an acquaintance from the HiLo

I met Mom and Tona for a drink the other night. It isn't something that happens often, but I would like for it to happen again soon. Hanging out with Mom when she's had a couple drinks is a real ego-booster. While introducing me to people as her daughter, of course, she let each person know how hilarious I am. I don't think these people were too concerned with my personality as I was in a dress from Express that was...well...fitted. The short black dress was embellished with sparkles, as I was in a sparkle kind of mood that night. I haven't been out much lately, OK? It was an occasion of sorts.

The HiLo really is a special little place. You truly never know who you are going to run into. The bar is in OKC on Classen near Edna's, Drunken Fry, and the Speakeasy. It's a dark little hole in the wall that tends to get really packed on the weekends. If you haven't met the people who frequent there at least 20 or so times, they will not remember your name. I'm sure it has something to do with the insane amounts of alcohol consumed there, but I get to feel like the belle of the ball each and every time I step foot in the bar -- at least until they start to remember who I am and then I'm sure I will be known as "That smart mouthed girl that claims Tona is her Aunt".

It's easy to name drop Tona's name in the HiLo because sometimes she cocktails on Friday nights. It cuts out a lot of the get-to-know-you process that frankly sometimes bores the hell out of me. I can cut right into the part where I'm awesome. Using Tona as a name-drop is like an insta-friend button. I love it. One day, you will all be able to say my name and everyone will be like, "YEAH. She's so great. You must be great, too!" and you'll be like, "Yeah! You are totally right!"

And then you'll go out into the parking lot at closing time and puke because shots fly around that bar like its December 21,2012 already.

A few pointers in going to the HiLo:

1. Expect the unexpected.
2. Someone will probably cry on your shoulder.
3. Someone will end up buying you a shot. It will be strong.
4. People will strike up random conversations with you in line to get a drink.
5. On Friday nights the drag queens with call you out.
6. Expect homosexuals. They are there. They are sweet hearts.
7. Put your dance pants on. It can get crazy.
8. Expect to hear the word, "Titties," yelled out in unison at random times.
9. Bring taxi money.
10. Don't get offended by anyone. Everyone is wasted.

2 comments:

AuntT said...

Just remember that not everyone will love you if you mention my name, sweet girl.

Smooch!

Unknown said...

Deny, deny, deny, is usually the position I take in these situations.

However, I had so much freakin' fun last weekend that I am going to own up.

When you are a proud Mother, you just do what comes naturally: You brag. Brit is hysterically funny. And occasionally someone would exclaim "you aren't old enough to be her mother!" Even though they were drunk as hell, I'll take the compliment.

And the people at the HiLo are extremely friendly. So while the man who sat next to me for a while likes boys, he still felt comfortable talking about my cleavage.

Tona is a minor celebrity at the HiLo, but I know, from fifteen years of friendship, that she knows someone no matter where we go. I name drop my friends all the time!